The CPL is your ticket to a career in aviation as a pilot and will allow you to fly for hire and reward. Other than being proficient in either English or French there are no special educational requirements. Depending on previous experience, time building may be required to meet the minimum of 200 hours. The Night Rating and VFR OTT are included in the CPL program as detailed below.
- Must have PPL
- You must have reached your 18th birthday to receive a CPL
- Category 1 Aviation Medical
- Minimum 80 hours of ground school
- 65 hours of flight training of which 35 hours are dual instruction and 30 hours are solo practice
- Minimum 200 hours total flight time of which 100 hours are Pilot in Command (PIC) including 20 hours cross-country
- All previous flying experience counts towards the required 200 hours total time. Time building may be required
- Written exam with a pass mark of 60%
- Flight Test. TC approved Pilot Examiner on staff.
Anticipate 4-6 months if full-time.
|TOTAL DUAL||TOTAL SOLO|
|35 hours||30 hours|
*included in 18 dual
|45 Hours from PPL|
|35 hours Dual||Advanced Training||$7,525.00||$8,400.00|
|30 hours Solo||Advanced Practice||$4,500.00||$5,250.00|
|90 hours Solo time building||$13,500.00||$15,750.00|
|Written Exam Fee (TC)***||$105.00||$105.00|
|Flight Test Fee (TC)***||$300.00||$300.00|
|Licensing Fee (TC)***||$80.00||$80.00|
Note: ALL previous flying hours count towards the 200 hour requirement (as long as Transport Canada’s criteria is still filled within those hours), which may reduce the total ‘time building’ hours listed in the price breakdown above.
*Price based on C152, but we recommend students to do CPL training in a C172 in order to prepare our students to understanding more complex systems. Cost to upgrade all CPL hours to C172 is $3,875.00. Night Rating not included but recommended for employability as a commercial pilot – can be incorporated into above hours for approximate cost of $200.00.
**Completed though separate on-line provider. Additional cost if attending Sask PolyTechnic
***(TC) Transport Canada Note: The above training requirements represent TC minimums. It may take some students more time to complete depending on ability or if training flights are not consistently scheduled and flown.